Thursday, November 11, 2010

Week #10 Reflection

Collaboration, process orientation and constant learning and professional development are a few common themes that I see running through these different contexts.


If there is one thing that I try and stress to my 8th graders it is the ability to work with other people, whether you like them or not. In order for systems to work in any context there needs to be collaboration among the people who make up that organization. Ideas for success are created and executed using many people, not just one. It amazes me that schools do not look more to businesses to see what type of student they should “produce”. I hate to play devils advocate but, that is just what public schools were designed to do, create good workers and good citizens. I see in the business sector that workers are more often than not in collaborative situations. Why is it then, that there is not a bigger push, yes there is a push, but a bigger push to model some of our teaching strategies after real life work situations? More collaboration needs to be built into lesson planning in the classroom on a daily basis.


In business, PK-12 and Higher education processes seem to be the focus for change rather than a more piecemeal approach to change. Looking at design systems like SUTE, they show a clear and concise way to plan for a system wide change in a business or a school district. These types of well designed systematic approaches allow for reflection and change when needed. I think that there are quite a few districts around the US that could take notes from districts like Decatur Township School District and Chugach School District. Even if a school system did not change this radically a school could. Taking it to an even smaller level, teachers could use these designs to plan effective lesson plans and units of study. I have put a lot of thought into how simple some of these designs are, they seem so common sense. Why is it then that I haven’t put a system like this into place for my lesson planning! I have seen and discarded so many lesson plan formats due to the length or that not all of the parts to the lesson plan pertain to my teaching style. I can design a simple and straight forward lesson plan format that allows me to make sure my lesson objectives are being met at a higher level of mastery.


The last theme that I noticed was the emphasis put on professional development. The continual improvement of the individuals within the businesses or schools no matter what level of learning. In order for these places to strive the people integral to its functioning successfully need to be constantly challenged and learning to make the business or school better. As teachers we are always looking to hone our craft. We need to constantly learn about our topics of study and strategies that we use in the classroom to engage our students and bring them to higher levels of learning. I feel that one way that schools could use what businesses and higher education do is to utilize online professional developments. Down here in the state of North Carolina, we do have online professional development through a website called LearnNC.org. If is run by our state department of education and does give credit to NC teachers that take online courses and pass them. The downside is that they cost money. The upside is that they are paced for the busy teacher and you can fit them into your schedule easily. I wish that my school and school district would take a hint and begin to offer PD online...

No comments:

Post a Comment